2 generous tablespoons golden syrup
6oz brown sugar or golden caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
3oz plain flour
4oz mixed fruit
Square baking tin
• Preheat oven to 180oC (350oF), Gas mark 4
• Place the butter, sugar, golden syrup and vanilla extract in a large saucepan and heat gently until all ingredients are melted.
• Remove the saucepan from the heat and add in the oats, mixed fruit and flour.
• Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
• Leave to cool before cutting into squares. The flapjacks continue to cook after removing them from the oven. I find, therefore that the longer you leave them to cool, the easier they are to cut up. My top tip is to go for a run after you have cooked them, allowing them to cool. This will also give you something to look forward to!
Tip – If you are a chocoholic, you can replace the mixed fruit for 4oz of chocolate, chopped.