A healthy and very tasty alternative to flapjacks. If you like peanut butter you will love these delicious snack bars.
• 4oz pitted dates, soaked
• 5 tablespoons hot water
• 1 jar of smooth peanut butter (340g)
• 3 tablespoons of honey or brown rice syrup (certified gluten-free if necessary)
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 10 oz oats (certified gluten-free if necessary)
• 2oz chia or mixed seeds
• 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
• You can also add 2oz of anything else you fancy such as cranberries, desiccated coconut, dried apricots.
- Line a shallow baking dish with wax paper. Alternatively, I used a 7 inch x 11 inch silicone dish which does not need to be lined (they are easy and great to use).
- Place pitted dates in a bowl. Cover the dates with boiling water until full submerged. Allow them to soak for at least 10 minutes.
- Strain the soaked dates and place them plus 5 tablespoons of water in a blender. Blend until combined. The mixture will be very thick.
- Place date mixture, peanut butter, brown rice syrup or honey, and vanilla extract in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until well-combined and heated through.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, chia seeds, and flax plus any of the other fruit you are adding. Stir in wet mixture until combined.
- Spoon mixture into the baking dish, pressing very firmly so mixture is evenly spread throughout pan. It should be very compact.
- Place in the fridge for at least 2 hours. Cut into 16 bars.